Teen Mental Health Treatment
Was your teen or adolescent previously a good or at least "passing" student, and is suddenly showing tendencies towards failing grades, missing classes and a disinterest with school? It is most common in our current society, to label teens and adolescents with academic problems as ADD or ADHD, but how and why did this happen so suddenly to a previously bright and capable student? ADD and ADHD are very real possibilities to explore, but in order to benefit your student the most, it is important to look at all of the possibilities. It may be the case that your teen has a learning disability that has not been diagnosed yet.
What symptoms is your adolescent or teenager displaying? There are both internalized and externalized learning and behavior disorder signs. Internal signs can be harder to pick up, but with a little care and attention, we can get your adolescent the help they need.
Internalized signs and symptoms of learning or behavioral issues:
• Boredom or carelessness with school property, homework etc.
Externalized signs and symptoms of learning or behavioral issues:
• Disinterest in school or reluctance to go to school completely
• A reported withdrawal or disinterest in class, even in subject previously preferred by the student.
• Disorganized, inattentive, lack of focus or motivation.
• Work that looks sloppy and poorly done, despite claims of putting his or her best effort into it.
• Physical symptoms of stress, such as headaches and stomach pains, frequent trips to the school nurse or infirmary.
• In class – blurting out impulsively, usually incorrect answers.
• Frequent (more than once or twice) breaking school rules intentionally, being sent to heads of school or departments for discipline because of disruptive behavior or actions.
• More than usual "messing around" with classmates, being the class clown in a disruptive way.
• New friends who are considered delinquent, or losing old friends who are seemingly better behaved.
• Inappropriate joking around, getting in trouble alongside new friends for such an offense.
Truancy is one of the largest academic problems in the world. Students across the country leave class early, skip classes entirely, and fake sickness to get out of class. No one is against the very occasional, legitimate sick day for the average adolescent, but truancy is definitely a symptom of a larger issue.
Truancy is a possible sign of the following:
• A physical disorder such as a brief or chronic illness.
• Fatigue: Caused by illness, depression, or lack of sleep
• Addiction: to a drug or to alcohol. Can involve a hangover that can make someone very reluctant or unable to go to school the following day. Or can mean that the person no longer cares as much about school as they do drinking and using.
• Psychological disorder: These include anxiety disorders, major depressive disorder, agoraphobia, personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder.
• Bullying: If a student is being bullied by another student, they are more likely to try and leave school early or avoid it altogether.
• Learning disorder: ADD and ADHD being the most commonly known. These can cause a student to lose interest in school because of the intense difficulty they are experiencing.
No matter what the difficulty your adolescent and your family are struggling with, Center For Discovery can help. We specialize in teenagers and adolescents having difficulties in school and at home. Let us gently but firmly guide you and your family out of the troubles you are experiencing. You do not have to live in a constant state of unease, conflict and pain, let Center For Discovery aid you in this change.